Sunday, January 11, 2009

Leveraging your knowledge to make extra income


Have you ever thought that you could be making better use of your free time? I mean after all, you are a pretty smart person. You have a lot of knowledge about the field that you work in and there would have to be some way that you could make money using this knowledge, right? Maybe you are a little reluctant to start your own business because of all of the overhead that is required. Or maybe you do not have the investment capital to invest in yourself. Well...all that is about to change...

In addition to my interests in personal finances, I am also a huge computer enthusiast. During my usual brainstorming process, I was trying to think of a way to leverage my current knowledge and ability to make some extra income. I did a few searches online and found that there are a lot of sites that you can do freelance work and they pay you for it! Yes, you can actually work from your computer at home and make money.

For my skeptics out there, I know this sounds too good to be true, so let me go into further detail. There are two websites that I have come across that have great opportunities for freelancing. The first is Guru which is a site dedicated to match-making between freelancers and those who want to purchase their service/product. Below is a small excerpt from the website:

Guru.com is the world's largest online marketplace for freelance talent. Through our free service, employers find top freelance and contract talent locally, nationally, or globally. Our web-based marketplace directly connects businesses with more than 100,000 active freelance profiles specializing in over 160 professional categories including web design, programming, graphic design, business consulting, and administrative support.

Although I have not personally registered for the site, it is a great concept and a great way to help supplement your current income (especially during these times). I am still deciding on whether or not I am going to sign up for this site, but it is always great to have options.

The second (and my favorite) site is JustAnswer. Below is an excerpt on how the website works:

How JustAnswer works

1. Ask a question.
Enter your question, and create a user account.
2. Name your price.
You can pay up front or wait until an Expert answers. Prepaid questions are typically answered faster.
3. An Expert answers, often within minutes, usually within a few hours.
JustAnswer will send an e-mail notifying you of any answer or request for information from an Expert.
4. Accept the answer.
If you got great service, consider adding a bonus. Your acceptance pays the Expert and tells us you’re happy.

That’s all. We guarantee your satisfaction.


So how does it all relate to you? Well, I am so glad you asked...there's more:



More Expert Information Apply now to earn money for all of your answers that are accepted! New (4 or less accepts) or below average Experts earn 25% of what a customer is offering for an answer and above average Experts earn 50%. Once you have more than $20 in your account, just request payment and we'll Pay Pal the money to you on the first business day of the month.

Now, because I have signed up for this website and actually use it, I can provide for you my experience with it. After applying to the site (as a Computer Expert), I was given a test with 10 questions. I guess I answered them correctly because they made me an expert in computers rather quickly. (I had to wait one day before I could start answering questions)

Now, whenever I have free time, I log into the website and monitor a queue that new customer's send their questions into. I find questions that I know I can answer, answer them, and get paid. It's literally that simple. So far, after 3 days of being on the site and having 7 accepted answers, I have made $40.25. Now I understand that I will not be able to go out and buy that Mercedes Benz with it, however, in my eyes, that's free money for answering questions all from the comfort of my computer.

The great thing about this site is that there are many other experts that you can apply to become. Everything from answering math questions to being a business consultant, there is an expert position that you can apply for to make some extra income. Now, "not being able to find some work" is one less excuse you can use for this new year.

Stay Disciplined!

If you have trouble registering for the JustAnswer website as an expert, send me or email or leave your email address in the comments and I will send you an invite.

No comments: