Sunday, June 14, 2009

Taking the Leap of Faith

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. ~Unknown

Wisdom can come in the oddest forms and when you least expect it. While having lunch with one of my mentors, I found myself questioning some of my most recent actions. I just bought an investment property that is truly a "fixer-upper" and I have no handyman experience nor do I have a lot of capital to invest in paying others to fix up the property for me. I had contemplated this decision prior to actually taking the plunge, however, I was starting to feel some after purchase jitters.

I shared my feelings with my mentor and he reminded me about everyone's biggest obstacle hindering the completion of their goals. The obstacle of fear. Fear can take on many forms. For me, it is the fear of losing my job, the fear of having too many unexpected expenses and even the fear of foreclosure caused by the unforeseen circumstances.

I do not understand why the human mind tends to always prepare and expect the worst out of any situation. Although the statement was not explicit, my mentor helped to remind me about "Faith". From the bible, Faith is defined as the following:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
(Heb 11:1)
To provide a more simplistic explanation, Faith is defined as the following from wikipedia:
Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth of or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
In both definitions, there is a commonality of trusting/believing in something that you may or may not be tangible. Just believing alone is not enough for Faith to work, there are the required actions that must accompany it. Even if you are unsure if the actions are correct, sometimes just doing something is enough to make progress on your endeavor.

It just seems my list of things to do to work on this house is continuing to grow. However, every week, I try to accomplish a small goal to make progress on the house. I honestly do not know whether or not I will succeed in this venture, but I do believe I will try to do everything necessary to be successful.

What are your thoughts? Share them in the comments below.

Stay Disciplined!

2 comments:

Jason O. said...

While I believe it is often important to take a leap of faith, I think investing or taking the plunge is more a matter of risk management. In the example of the investment property, you always have to weigh your risks vs rewards. If the rewards like monetary return on sale of property, knowledge of how to flip a house, and saving on rent can outweigh the potential losses like foreclosure or failure to sell, then the investment is generally a good idea. I think the best investors have figured out how to maximize rewards while minimizing the risk.

Good luck Jonathan. Let me know if you ever need an extra hammer man to help flip your house.

Unknown said...

I have faith that your project will be a success. With God on your side and the wonderful friends that you have, you will be more than ok for your house project...Keep your head up...:-)